Thursday, April 9, 2009

Memories

I spend some time each day reading a few of my favorite newspapers on line.

I start with the New York Times. I’m a subscriber, but I usually start reading before my "real" paper has hit the porch outside my front door. By the time the paper comes, generally, the only thing I look at is the daily crossword. That’s because my mother and I have started something like a competition to see who does better on the puzzle each day. I telephone her at 6 p.m. and we compare notes.

Anyway, after the Times, I hit the Washington Post. I’m not so crazy about the Post these days. I loved it when the Carl Woodward-Bob Bernstein team broke some disgusting news about Tricky-Dicky-Nixon almost every day. It seemed to me they weren’t aggressive enough in George W’s earliest days and stayed too friendly as his disastrous time in office came to an end.

(The only true reporting on Bush was available on the John Stewart Show. If you don’t know that show, it’s on the "Comedy Network." I think that says a hell of a lot about the Bush era.)

After the Post, I look at the Chicago Tribune. No mystery here. I was a kid in Chicago and – after my time in the service – returned as a student at the Goodman School of Drama, part of the Art Institute. That’s a good school. One of the most famous in the country. Lest you think I’m bragging, I need to be honest and say my drinking got me expelled. At the age of 23.

After the Trib, I look at the Chicago Sun Times because the Sun Times is a bit more politically liberal than the Trib. The Sun Times also features Roger Ebert, the famous movie reviewer and general commentator.

I have a special feeling for Ebert. We’re both suffering cancer. Not only that, but he was the friend of a friend of mine when I was going to the Art Institute in the late 1960’s.

One night, late, my friend and I stopped in anIrish bar in Old Town and grabbed places at a crowded table. In one chair, silent but observant, sat a guy who introduced himself as Roger Ebert, the critic for the Sun Times. He wasn’t famous then. Just a nice guy who was drinking Guinness Stout, as I recall. We even talked movies for a couple of minutes. I’m sure he doesn’t remember that night, but I do.

Anyway, the Trib this morning had a brief about how the roof above one of the upper-floor rooms at the Field Museum leaked during a thunder storm, dampening or damaging some of the 250,000 items stored in that single room.

Suddenly, I remembered the Field for the first time in fifty years, or at least forty. My mom used to take us, Kevin and Pat and me, to the museum six or maybe seven times a year. I can close my eyes and remember walking through the main entrance into a magical world. I remember the dinosaur bones and the displays of Neanderthal man and huge insects and rooms filled with mummies, dozens and dozens of mummies.

It’s funny. I can close my eyes and remember the Field and other things from my distant past. I can’t spend even a minute imagining the future.

JUDY

I got a brief email the other day from a woman named Judy. I usually don’t open emails from men or women I don’t know. The subject line on this one, though, said something about "old memories," so I decided to open it.

I’m glad I did.

This email was from someone I knew fifty years ago. Judy Caulfield, her name was, and she lived a little ways up a hill from the girl, Patti, who became my first wife. I can vaguely remember Judy. I think I kissed her a few times but do remember how nice she was.

In her message to me, Judy first told me she'd been reading my blog. She went on to tell me that I’d been always nice to her. She told me I needed to remember more of the past than just my days of drinking, that I just didn’t remember myself fully.

Here’s part of her message:

"What I am trying to say with all this mindless babble is that you had a friend out there all these years who always smiled whenever (she) thought of you. I never knew Kieran the drunk. The Kieran I remember was very sweet and so kind that you have always had a spot in my heart. Isn't it funny how we all go through life not knowing the little bits we leave as we walk."

Again, I don't want to brag, but I’m glad I got that message. I needed it.

No comments: