Friday, September 19, 2008

The View

My wife and I are fortunate. We live in an apartment overlooking the Lake Worth Lagoon, in Florida. The lagoon is part of the Intracoastal Waterway on Florida’s east coast. When we look out the sliding-glass door that serves as the eastern wall of our living room, we can see the lagoon and beyond that the barrier island just south of Palm Beach. By straining just a bit we can see, beyond that narrow island, the vast sweep of the Atlantic Ocean.

People travel hundreds, often thousands of miles and spend a lot of money to see the view we can see every day of the year. The few visitors we have always, or almost always, stop to look out the window, remark about the beautiful view.

I’m spoiled.

I’m so accustomed to the view that days or weeks go by without my looking out the window. I walk across the living room with my eyes open but unseeing. In the three years we’ve had this apartment I’ve only sat on the balcony outside that sliding glass door, looking to the east, a half-dozen times, no more than that.

That’s a shame.

Before I got sick, I used to be too busy. For months and months I was too busy to look out the window. I sat at a computer day after day writing an average of 2,000 words each day. A million words every 18 months, give or take 100,000 words or so.

Now I can barely stand to work more than a couple of hours at a time. I’m just too tired. And still I have to remind myself to look out the window.

This morning, when I took the time to look I saw an osprey soaring right at the level of our sixth-floor apartment.

I’m going to look more often. I promised myself. Why not? I can’t work so I may as well enjoy myself.

2 comments:

Wild About Words said...

Kieran,

I like the image of the osprey outside your window waaaaay better than the image of you sitting in your skivvies with a wad of toilet tissue stuck up your bloody nose.
I'm just sayin',

Donna

Anonymous said...

Looking and seeing - aye, there's the rub... It's true, when we slow down - for any reason - we have a tendancy to notice things more. It's as if the mind actually recognizes what the eyes see in more detail. Like looking at the colors in the desert when the seasons shift.
But your window - what a great movie set. Not sure what your mornings are like these days.... if you have a meditation that you use. OR even if you believe in mind over matter... but here's an idea...
When you get out of bed, go to that window, and take 3 deep breaths; just look, see, breath,; nothing more. And yet so much in a conscious breath.
Hugs...